Welcome to Unicorn Class!
We are the year two children.
Our current topic is....
In Maths this half-term we will be:
- Plotting, estimating and representing values on a number line
- Reading and recording weights and volumes
- Recapping time, properties of shapes and fractions
- Solving word problems using the most appropriate operation and method
In English this half-term we will be exploring the story 'Supertato' before writing our own discussion texts about whether or not it would be good to have a super power. We will also be touching on some super-poetry.
In topic lessons we will be focusing on real-life superheroes, tracking Supertato on his travels around the world, investigating the importance of internet safety and preparing for our End of Key Stage One Graduation.
- Monday- Dance with Miss Lembo
- Friday- Games with Mr Roberts
Alongside our usual PE days, we are likely to be having extra PE sessions during the half-term. Please ensure your child's indoor and outdoor PE kits are in school during the week.
A reminder that children are asked not to wear earrings on PE days and that long hair should be tied up. Thank you.
In Year 2 we send home one piece of Maths or English homework each Friday. We expect every child to complete this homework, which builds upon the work we have been doing in class, and bring it into school by the following Wednesday. This will usually be on a worksheet which they will add to their homework folder in school. Each topic will also see a new 'homework challenge'. This challenge will run every half-term and will allow children to choose their own 'challenge homework' to accumulate points. At the end of each half-term the points the child has gained will result in a different reward; the harder the challenge they choose, the more points they will gain!
Readings and spellings
We aim to hear each child read at least once a week on a one-to-one basis and once a week in a group during class guided reading. If your child needs their reading book or rockets changing before they are heard reading individually, they can put the specific books/ rockets inside their planner and put their planner into the box next to the inside door in the classroom. These will then be changed/ checked during the school day. If you would like to come into school to help with readings and spellings please let us know!
Key dates in Unicorn class:
- Thursday 8th June- School closed for Polling day
- Thursday 15th June- PTFA Father's Day gift shop
- Monday 26th-Friday 30th June- Superhero week
- Monday 26th June- Parents are invited to come and watch our 'Superstomp' whole-school dance in the school grounds at 3pm.
- Tuesday 27th June- Parents are invited to come and join their children at 2pm to make their own comic strip.
- Thursday 29th June- Superhero Fayre (4:30-7:30).
- Friday 30th June- Dress-up day with a theme of heroes Vs. villains
- Friday 14th July- Children to spend a day in their new class
- Monday 17th July- Unicorn Graduation at 9am in the school hall
- Wednesday 19th July- Children to spend a day in their new class
- Friday 21st July- Final day of Year 2- Tissues at the ready!