The Victorians and The Industrial Revolution
Our first topic is about The Victorians with a particular focus on The Industrial Revolution and is a history based topic. Over the half term we will be learning about:
- Queen Victoria and her reign
- The impact of the Industrial Revolution and its positive and negative effects.
- Child labour during the Victorian era
- Children’s lives during the period
Talk for writing – Is a warning tale called the The Caravan.
- write legibly, fluently and with increasing speed
- using a wide range of devices to build cohesion within and across paragraphs
- using further organisational and presentational devices to structure text and to guide the reader [for example, headings, bullet points, underlining]
- proposing changes to vocabulary, grammar and punctuation to enhance effects and clarify meaning
- ensuring the consistent and correct use of tense throughout a piece of writing
- recognising vocabulary and structures that are appropriate for formal speech and writing, including subjunctive forms
- using expanded noun phrases to convey complicated information concisely
- use further prefixes and suffixes and understand the guidance for adding them
- use dictionaries to check the spelling and meaning of words
- use a thesaurus
- Use punctuation for direct speech
Maths - To begin the half term we will be taking a closer look at numbers and place value. We will then look at using formal written methods for addition and subtraction.
- read, write, order and compare numbers to at least 1,000,000 and determine the value of each digit
- count forwards or backwards in steps of powers of 10 for any given number up to 1,000,000
- interpret negative numbers in context, count forwards and backwards with positive and negative whole numbers, including through 0
- round any number up to 1,000,000 to the nearest 10, 100, 1,000, 10,000 and 100,000
- solve number problems and practical problems that involve all of the above
- read Roman numerals to 1,000 (M) and recognise years written in Roman numerals.
- add and subtract whole numbers with more than 4 digits,including using formal written methods (columnar addition and subtraction)
- add and subtract numbers mentally with increasingly large numbers
- use rounding to check answers to calculations and determine, in the context of a problem, levels of accuracy
- solve addition and subtraction multi-step problems in contexts, deciding which operations and methods to use and why