I hope you have had a lovely week off and enjoyed lots of family time. Our topic this half term is Chocolate. We will be learning about:
· The history of chocolate
· Tasting chocolate and data handling
· Designing and making our own chocolate
· Melting and freezing
· Our Talk for writing is based around Charlie and the chocolate factory
Our Key Stage One nativity will be a traditional one called ‘Baubles’, Year 2 will be the main cast with Years 1 playing their important parts too. Details to follow. Your child will be sent home with lines to learn in the next few weeks, It is really important that they know these by heart. When practising with your child ensure they know what comes before and after them.
It is an eight week term, yes I did say eight weeks, it will be so busy that it will fly by.
As always my door is always open.
Review of the term
Thank you all once again for your continued support. The children have settled in well to year 2 and have most certainly noticed the increased expectation of them. I know they are not happy that they have to write every day and sometimes two or three times a day, trust me I don’t like marking it all either, unfortunately the expectations are so high that we have no choice. In the spring term I will hold a meeting, where you will be able to learn more about the end of year expectations and some of the key learning that has to be taught.
Unicorn Class is too noisy at the moment so we are working hard to rectify that and create a better learning environment for everyone, please talk to your children about this.
Spellings - this was a new strategy implemented in September, it started off really well and the children were getting great scores in their test on a Friday. However, over the last few weeks we have noticed a deterioration in the scores and children saying they are not practising at home. I really do appreciate that they take time and everyone is really busy but they are really important, the tests are used as evidence for moderation. If you can help them learn these that would be great.
· The children will be doing PE on Monday and Thursdays. Please ensure your child has their PE kit in school and that all items are clearly labelled. We encourage children to practise getting dressed at home to help them get changed quickly in school!
· Any letters or reply slips, which need to be returned, can be dropped in the box in our classroom labelled dropbox. Please ensure that any letters are clearly labelled.
· The children can bring their own water bottle to keep in class which they can access throughout the day and they will change their water regularly. Please make sure your child’s name is written clearly on their water bottle.
Sheffield Hallam Students
You may have noticed over the last half term that we have 2 SHU students in class. Mr Sharpely and Mr Hogan are starting there assessed teaching block with us in Unicorn Class on the 12th November. As you can appreciate we all have start somewhere and I am sure you will make them feel really welcome. I will of course remain in the classroom all day, every day to ensure standards and expectations are kept to the highest possible standard. We have spent the last few weeks planning together and every lesson he plans to teach is scrutinised by myself before they teache it.
I am sure they will have a great experience at Gateford, the children already love them!
Dates for the diary
· 5th November – Ministry of Chocolate
· w/b 12th November – UK parliament week
· 13th and 14th November – Parents evening
· 7th December – Winter warmer
· 10th December – Pantomime
· 12th December – Christmas dinner and jumper day
· 13th December – 930 Nativity and 215 Nativity
· 20th December – last day of Autumn term