Welcome to Minotaur Class!
Miss Lembo, Mrs Dawes and the Year 6 pupils.
Off with Her Head!
Welcome back! We hope you've had a chance to recharge your batteries and are ready to travel back in time to the 1500s. It's time to meet the terrifying Tudors, a domineering dynasty that changed our history. Over the next six weeks, our topic will be 'Off with Her Head!', a shocking and intriguing topic in which we will be meeting Henry VIII, researching crimes and punishments and composing our own Tudor dances.
In Maths our focus areas will be volume, statistics and algebra. These are the final three areas to cover before we begin revision of the range of mathematical topics that we have already explored this year. There will be a greater emphasis on reasoning problems, as well as keeping our arithmetic knowledge top-notch. As a good times table knowledge is key to a number of the questions they will be answering, pupils will find it extremely beneficial to regularly practise their tables on Hit the Button at home.
During English lessons we will be studying and writing explanation texts and rags to riches tales. We will be focusing on techniques that we can use to fulfil the purpose of each text type for our chosen audience whilst revising a range of SPaG material. Our shared text for guided reading this half term is 'Treason' by Berlie Doherty. We will continue to hone our comprehension skills as we focus on inference questions and answering questions worth three marks.
Each Friday, all pupils will receive homework which will link to the week's learning. Returned homework should be dropped into the 'Homework' drawer in the classroom by the Wednesday of the following week. Homework this half term will be different between pupils depending on their needs. Please see below for a reminder of the weekly homework and spelling list. All pupils in Y6 are expected to read high quality texts daily for pleasure.
Both of our weekly PE sessions during this topic will take place indoors on a Wednesday (gymnastics with Miss Lembo) and Friday (dance with Miss Lembo). It is the responsibility of the pupils to ensure they have their indoor PE kit in school. Any pupils who do not have their PE kit in school on these days will lose points on Dojo and will be unable to take part in the lesson due to Health and Safety. Earrings should be taken out for PE lessons.
Friday 15th February
- Write your 500 Words story and enter it online. Follow the link for more information, including rules of the competition. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00rfvk1
This week's spellings for the test on Friday 1st March: official, special, artificial, social, racial, crucial, facial, beneficial, superficial, antisocial.
Friday 8th February
- Read chapter 18 of Goodnight Mr Tom.
This week's spellings for the test on Friday 15th February: attached, available, average, competition, conscience, controversy, correspond, embarrass, especially, exaggerate.
Friday 1st February
-Set B, test 5 from your SATs buster books.
- This week's spellings for the test on Friday 8th February: interrupt, interfere, intercept, interject, intertwine, interim, internal, intersperse, interloper, interest.
Friday 25th January
- Set B, test 6 from your SATs buster books.
- This week's spellings for the test on Friday 1st February: commit, committee, transmit, submit, commitment, emit, permit, intermittent, omit, unremitting.
Friday 18th January
- Set B, test 5 from your SATs buster books.
- Arithmetic sheet
- This week's spellings for the test on Friday 25th January: deceive, conceive, receive, perceive, ceiling, receipt, protein, caffeine, seize, neither.
Friday 11th January
- Set B, Test 4 from your SATs buster books.
- This week's spellings for the test on Friday 18th January: siege, niece, grief, chief, fiend, shriek, believe, achieve, convenience, mischievous.